Love the Process, Get Faster, Run Longer Ultra Runners and Coaches David and Megan Roche join The Nation to talk about their new book, the Happy Runner. LIVING IN ALL CAPS Embrace the process Why talk about the bad stuff with running? “We don’t give a fudge about your result Chaotic unpredictability and futility of […]
There’s often a debate in sports about what constitutes an “elite” athlete. In football, it’s a meme to talk about whether Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is elite. In running, there are hundreds of comment threads dedicated to elite versus sub-elite versus non-elite times. I imagine most coaches get tons of emails from athletes with a disclaimer at the start: “I am not an elite athlete.”
If you’ve watched the Tour de France in the last decade, you’ve probably noticed some riders staring at their handlebars on the biggest climbs, looking at a little screen as if they are in the middle of a Netflix binge. Most of the time, they are looking at the readout on their power meters.
The Happy Runner (available now at this link) is the story of what we’ve learned coaching pro trail runners, beginners and everyone in between. We don’t have the wisdom to … Continue reading "“The Happy Runner”—An Excerpt from David and Megan Roche’s New Book"
Is it worthwhile to use the sauna? —Dylan, San Francisco, California The sauna is good for more than playing Nelly’s “Hot in Herre” as you disrobe to just a towel … Continue reading "Ask The Coach: How do You Know if You’re Ready to Run an Ultramarathon?"
I didn’t get into running until I was in college, about a year after taking off my football pads for the last time. College is a time of experimentation for … Continue reading "5 Workouts To Get Faster . . . In 20 Minutes Or Less"
Let’s start with a thought exercise. Remember: the brain burns a lot of calories, so make sure you have some chocolate ice cream handy to replenish your glycogen stores afterward. … Continue reading "The Body Doesn’t Know Miles, It Knows Stress"
Does cross training (like biking) help training? —Josh F., Charlestown, New Hampshire Cross training (like biking or swimming or playing aggressive tug of war with your dog) is surprisingly controversial … Continue reading "Ask the Coach: Cross Training"
In the book Once A Runner, the protagonist Quenton Cassidy goes to the woods of Florida and trains like a freaking monster. Cassidy undergoes the “Trial of Miles,” the time … Continue reading "6 of the Biggest, Hardest Workouts"
Pacing oneself is really, really hard. I think that difficulty stems from how different the psychological approach to pacing is from the rest of life. Usually, life rewards joyous enthusiasm, … Continue reading "The Art of Pacing Yourself"
We hope you’ll join us at our inaugural trail-running camp with coaches David Roche, Megan Roche and Abby Levene. August 17 – 19 in beautiful Snowmass, Colorado. Here’s David Roche, … Continue reading "Watch: Why Is Coaching Important?"
One of the hardest parts of mental-health challenges is feeling alone in your own struggle, as beautifully described in this May 2018 article in Nature. Yeah, on some level, you … Continue reading "Understanding the Post-Race Blues"
When I started out as an endurance athlete many years ago, I used to overthink every little thing on race week. Food? FUEL. Sleep? RECOVERY. Dancing? A NON-SPECIFIC TRAINING STIMULUS. I must have been insufferable … Continue reading "What Matters (and What Doesn’t) Days Before a Race"
On June 23, Courtney Dauwalter and Jim Walmsley ran two of the best races in history at the Western States 100 (on a year when temperatures exceeded 100 degrees Fahrenheit). How did they do it? … Continue reading "Positivity is a Performance Enhancer"
There is a thin line between love and hate when it comes to running training. You can be out there, frolicking through meadows, thinking you are all about rainbows and unicorns. It might feel easy, … Continue reading "Heart Rate Training 101"
Welcome to Part 4 of Zero to Trail Hero. Now you can start really racking up the miles– but not without taking steps to adapt to the added stress. GO THE DISTANCE After you build … Continue reading "From Zero to Trail Hero: Part 4"
Snowmass Trail-Running Camp August 17-19, 2018 Snowmass, Colorado Come run with Trail Runner magazine and respected coaches David and Megan Roche in the spectacular Elk Mountains. In this three-day course, our coaches will focus on … Continue reading "2018 Camps with Trail Runner Magazine"
If I could only give one tip to an athlete looking to make their daily run more enjoyable and productive, it’d be simple: start slower. Make your first mile your slowest mile. Get passed by … Continue reading "The Importance of Starting Slow"
The list of things that are certain for a runner is not all that long. As Benjamin Franklin said, we have death and taxes. All year-long runners share another certainty, though—we spend a lot of … Continue reading "Why It’s Essential to Embrace the Heat"
- TWIR Adam Campbell Andre Jonsson Anna Mae Flynn Brett Hales Brian Condon Brittany Peterson Chris Mocko Daniel Jung david roche Dmitry Mityaev Ekaterina Mityaeva Emelie Forsberg gemma arenas Golden Gate Dirty 30 Hillary Gerardi Jackson Brill jonathan albon Marco de Gasperi martina valmassoi Mira Rai Nick Clark Núria Picas Pau Capell Ragna Debats timothy olson ultra skymarathon madeira
Welcome to Part 2 of Zero to Trail Hero. Now is when things ease onward gently. The most important part of this process is to not force it—as is often our natural inclination. PUT IT … Continue reading "From Zero to Trail Hero: Part 2"
We have all been there. It’s that moment in the primordial ooze of being a non-runner when something happens, and suddenly you’re given life as a runner. No matter how that origin of runner-life transpires, it’s a long way to evolve to running long distances on trails. But through a few tips and tricks, you … Continue reading "From Zero to Trail Hero: Part 1"
If you grew up running, there’s a solid chance that a track or road workout makes you have a nervous flashback, causing your bowels to plummet to your feet. If you started running on your own, maybe trail hill repeats make you want to stay in bed where it’s warm and cuddly and where gravity … Continue reading "Workouts for Trail Runners that Don’t Like Workouts"
Starting out, most runners have a vision of the best training session. Think back to what you thought was good training. I know what I pictured. You’re pouring out sweat like a broken fire hydrant, with your hands on your knees, your vision blurry, and your mouth tasting like rusted pennies. Essentially, it’s every motivational … Continue reading "The Downside of Uphills, Heat and Altitude"
In the second half of 2014, a then-33-year-old attorney from Los Angeles named Ellen Kenney started doing her first runs over five miles. She had run a bit in law school, but in the way that a lot of people start—haltingly and begrudgingly. At that pupae stage of her running development, it was a chore, … Continue reading "How Ellen Kenney Became an Ultrarunner From Scratch"
In the movie, This Is Spinal Tap, there’s a scene where the lead guitarist of the band is showing off his amplifiers, when the camera zooms in on the knobs controlling volume. Only, there’s a twist. The knobs go to 11, instead of just 10. As the rocker says, “It’s one louder, isn’t it?” Similarly, turning … Continue reading "Increase Your Blood Volume, Get Faster"
With running training, it’s essential not to let perfect be the enemy of good. That sounds like a fortune cookie delivering a TED talk, but it’s true. Because over months and years, lots of good training will get you as close to perfect an athlete as you can possibly be. Perfect training involves a meticulous … Continue reading "5 Workouts for Any Part of Your Training Cycle"
The post This Week In Running: March 5, 2018 appeared first on iRunFar: Your Trail Running & Ultramarathon Resource.
- TWIR Ali Morgan Brett Hales Brittany Peterson calum neff camille herron Corrine Malcolm David Johnston david roche Eric LiPuma Gabrielle Russo Ian Sharman jared hazen Joe Gray kilian jornet Ladia Albertson-Junkans Matt Flaherty Max King Michelle Hummel paul hamilton Rachel Cieslewicz Ragna Debats ryan bak Ryan Ghelfi Stephane Ricard
The post This Week In Running: February 26, 2018 appeared first on iRunFar: Your Trail Running & Ultramarathon Resource.
- TWIR Alexandre Mayer Aliza Lapierre Amy Sproston Andrea Huser Aurelien Collet Azara Garcia beth pascall Brett Hales Brittany Peterson Caroline Chaverot Cat Bradley Corrine Malcolm Cristofer Clemente Daniel Jung david roche Ekaterina Mityaeva Fernanda Maciel Ildikó Wermescher jared hazen Ladia Albertson-Junkans Magdalena Laczak Mario Mendoza Matt Flaherty Max King Meghan Laws Morgan Elliott Pau Capell Ryan Ghelfi Stephen Wassather tim tollefson
The post This Week In Running: February 19, 2018 appeared first on iRunFar: Your Trail Running & Ultramarathon Resource.
- TWIR Amy Rusiecki Amy Sproston Andrea Huser Armando Teixeira beth pascall Caroline Chaverot Cassie Scallon Courtney Dauwalter Cristofer Clemente Daniel Jung David Johnston david roche Denise Zimmermann Dmitry Mityaev Ekaterina Mityaeva Emelie Lecomte Emmanuel Gault Fernanda Maciel Franceca Canepa Ildikó Wermescher Jasmin Nunige Joe Gray john kelly Jon Olsen Jordi Gamito Judit Franch Laura McDonough Lisa Borzani Magdalena Laczak Manuela Vilaseca Mario Mendoza Maxime Cazajous Meghan Laws Paige Pattillo Pau Bartoló Pau Capell remigio huaman Sarah Bard Sophie Grant stephanie howe violett Tim Freriks tim tollefson traci falbo
Press release written by Mike Casper, Race Director, Tussey Mountainback. Photo above from bouncingsoles.com. Tussey Mountainback meets ATRA’s event standards. STATE COLLEGE, PA — David Roche and Megan Roche, aka “the first couple of trail running,” will try to make their marks on the roads of Rothrock State Forest on Oct. 8 at the 18th annual edition... Read more »
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for August 14, 2017.
- TWIR Andy Wacker Anthony Kunkel camille herron Chris Mocko Corrine Malcolm david roche Devon Yanko Diego Pazos Gina Lucrezi Ian Sharman Josh Eberly kilian jornet Laura Orgué marc lauenstein martin anthamatten Matt Flaherty Max King megan roche Petro Mamu Sandi Nypaver Silvia Rampazzo Sylvain Court Timmy Parr
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for June 12, 2017.
- TWIR Addie Bracy Adeline Roche alex varner Amandine Ferrato Andy Wacker Anita Ortiz Anna Mae Flynn Caitlin smith Cédric Fleureton Cody Reed Corrine Malcolm Cristofer Clemente david roche Hayden Hawks Joe Gray Keely Henninger kilian jornet Ladia Albertson-Junkans Luis Alberto Hernando Mario Mendoza megan roche Morgan Arritola Morgan Elliott Rory Bosio Sage Canaday Sandi Nypaver Silvia Rampazzo stevie kremer Tyler Sigl
An in-depth preview of the men's race at the 2017 IAU Trail World Championships in Badia Prataglia, Italy.
- Races Andre Jonsson Andrew Tuckey Andy Wacker Armando Teixeira Benoit Cori Cedric Fleurenton Cody Reed Cristofer Clemente Dani Garcia david roche Efrén Segundo Ernani Souza Etienne Van Gasse Fabio Ruga Gábor Muhari Georg Piazza Helio Grimstrup Henri Ansio IAU Trail Championships Ludovic Pommeret Luis Alberto Hernando marcin swierc Marco de Gasperi Mario Mendoza Massimo Mei Michael Kabicher Miguel Caballero Nicolas Martin Pablo Villa Ricardo Da Silva Romain Maillard Sergio Pereyra Sylvain Court Tiago Aires Tom Erik Halvorsen Tomi Halme Tyler Sigl Vlad Ixel Yuya Kawasaki
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for June 5, 2017.
- TWIR Addie Bracy Andy Wacker Anna Frost brendan davies Brett Hales camille herron Cody Lind Cole Watson Colleen De Reuck david roche Devon Yanko Fritjof Fagerlund gina slaby Hillary Allen Jasmin Nunige Joe Gray jon albon Kasie Enman Matt Flaherty megan roche Patrick Reagan Patrick Smyth ryan smith Sandi Nypaver Sarah Bard Scott Trummer Steve Slaby Steve Way timothy olson
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for May 15, 2017.
- TWIR Adam Campbell Amanda Basham Andrea Huser Anna Mae Flynn Anne-Lise Rousset Brian Rusiecki Cassie Scallon Chris Denucci Chris Mocko clare gallagher Corrine Malcolm Dan Metzger Daniel Jung david roche Dominick Layfield Fulvio Dapit Hayden Hawks Hector Haines Hillary Allen Ian Sharman ida nilsson Jason Schlarb jorge maravilla Kaci Lickteig kristina Pattison Ludovic Pommeret Luis Alberto Hernando Mandie Holmes Marianne Hogan Mario Mendoza Matt Flaherty Max King megan roche Michael Wardian Nicolas Martin Pau Capell Ragna Debats ryan bak Sam McCutcheon Tim Freriks tim tollefson timothy olson Tom Owens Xavier Thevenard YiOu Wang Zaid Ait Malek
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for April 3, 2017.
- TWIR Andy Wacker Anita Ortiz Aritz Egea Caitlin smith Caroline Boller Cassie Scallon Cody Reed Cristofer Clemente david roche Denise Bourassa Geoff Burns gina slaby Hayden Hawks Jim Walmsley Jon Olsen Katalin Nagy Keely Henninger Ladia Albertson-Junkans Mario Mendoza megan roche Miguel Heras Tyler Sigl Vlad Ixel YiOu Wang
The USATF Mountain, Ultra Trail Council is proud to announce members of Team USA scheduled to compete at the 2017 IAU/ITRA Trail Championships June 10, in Badia Prataglia, Italy. The US team of 6 women and 6 men will tackle the technical 50 km loop course through Riserva Statale Badia Prataglia along the mountainous Tuscany... Read more »
Running can be terrible if you’re just starting out or coming back after a hiatus. People don’t talk about that feeling often, but it’s true. At first, it can feel like you’re a penguin with an inner-ear problem, waddling slowly and clumsily. Over time, though, what was once impossible becomes commonplace, and what once was drudgery … Continue reading "New to trail running, or coming back after a hiatus? Not a problem!"
If you’re an ultrarunning superfan, you’re probably not just following Western States, but also the spring racing season that leads up to Westerns (and determines some of its top entrants). So here’s a quick viewer’s guide to the five most competitive trail ultras in March and April, and the top runners to watch at each. … Continue reading "Top Competitive Ultras to Watch This Spring"
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for February 20, 2017.
- TWIR Addie Bracy Alex Nichols Amanda Basham Andy Wacker anna comet Anna Frost Charlie Ware chema martinez Chikara Omine clare gallagher Cody Reed Cole Watson Connie Gardner Courtney Dauwalter darcy piceu david roche Elov Olsson eric senseman ester alves Galen Burrell gina slaby Hayden Hawks jared hazen Jason Schlarb Katalin Nagy Max King Nicole Kalogeropoulos Pam Smith Ryan Ghelfi Ryan Woods Tim Freriks Tom Owens YiOu Wang
Among runners, there is a common (sometimes subconscious) perception of what an “ideal” body type looks like: low body fat on a small frame. In other words: lean and skinny. It’s one of the widespread—and most dangerous—misconceptions in our sport. Genetics vary from person to person. That supposedly “ideal” runner’s body type is actually downright … Continue reading "Lifting the Stigma: 7 Body-Image Resolutions for Trail Runners"
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for February 13, 2017.
- TWIR Addie Bracy Alex Nichols Andy Wacker Anthony Kunkel camille herron Charlie Ware Cody Reed Cole Watson David Laney david roche eric senseman Jim Walmsley Jonas Buud Magdalena Boulet Maria Dalzot Max King Meghan Arbogast Paul Terranova Ruth Croft Ryan Ghelfi Ryan Woods Sam McCutcheon shaheen sattar Tim Freriks YiOu Wang Zach Ornelas
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for January 16, 2017.
This Week In Running’s trail and ultra recap for November 28, 2016.
- TWIR Angela Shartel brendan davies david roche Didrik Hermansen Fritjof Fagerlund Geoff Burns Giorgio Calcaterra Greg Vollet Jo Zakrzewski Joe Gray Jonas Buud Kirstin Bull krissy moehl Ludovic Pommeret martina valmassoi Matt Flaherty Meghan Arbogast Pam Smith Patrick Reagan Patrick Smyth traci falbo Zach Bitter